Monday 31 August 2009

More Dan for Your Buck

Like going to the fridge for cold pizza only to find that someone has left a surprise cheese platter so it was nice to open my emails this week to discover that Daniel Kitson is bringing another show to Australia in the near future. This is in addition to this tour he's doing in October which might suggest that he hasn't got the central heating sorted in his new flat and fancies sunburn and unsavoury perspiration over frostbite and cold bathrooms this northern winter.

Whatever the reasons, it’s our turn to see 66a Church Road – A Lament Made of Memories and Kept in Suitcases, which is a theatrical piece he toured around the UK in 2008. Says Daniel: “Last September I had to move out of my flat after living there for almost six years. I didn’t want to. I lived alone. I am single. 66a Church Road was the longest relationship of my life. This is a break up show. For my flat.”



From what I can gather it’s more akin to his one-man play C-90 than his stand-up work, but having seen C-90 I can heartily recommend seeing Dan doing a bit acting. If you need more convincing there’s a review here from Chortle. I haven’t read it because I don’t want to spoil anything, but you can if you like.

Daniel is performing 66a Church Road – A Lament Made of Memories and Kept in Suitcases in the Fairfax Studio of the Arts Centre Playhouse in Melbourne, Tuesday to Sunday, from the 12th to the 31st January 2010. Tickets are available
here as of today. There will also be shows at the Sydney Opera House, but no details as yet.

One final piece of Kitson news, Mrs Custard found a podcasts he did on the i-tunes store at the weekend. It’s free and, perhaps unsurprisingly, fucking funny. Just type Daniel Kitson into your i-tunes browser and wait for the magical cogs of interwebbery to turn.

No comments: